Epsom salt is well-known for its many health benefits, especially when used in baths. It’s the reason why many people soak their feet in it for instant relief and a spa-like feeling. But can I soak my feet in Epsom salt while pregnant?
Of course, you can! In fact, Epsom salt is known as the pregnant woman’s ally. But how exactly does it help? Read on for its benefits.
Can I Soak My Feet In Epsom Salt While Pregnant?
Epsom salt isn’t technically salt, as it contains NO form of sodium chloride. It’s actually crystallized magnesium and sulfate, which are naturally-occurring minerals. This type of “salt” is completely safe to use for everyone who isn’t allergic to its ingredients.
And yes, it’s safe for pregnant women to use, whether you’re soaking your entire body or just your feet. As long as you don’t ingest Epsom salt or overheat yourself when soaking your feet, you can use Epsom salt all you want.
In fact, some studies show that Epsom salt can help with pregnancy-related symptoms, such as discomfort and body aches. Both doctors and researchers agree that this “salt” is safe for pain relief, only if you take precautions and use it correctly.
The Benefits of Using Epsom Salt
Why do pregnant women use Epsom salts and how does it benefit them? Here are some of the advantages of using Epsom salts offer:
- It can soothe back pain and sore muscles. This is recommended when treating leg cramps, a common pregnancy issue
- If you have stretched skin, Epsom salt helps lessen stretch marks and itchiness around it
- Epsom salt reduces stress, especially when using it for baths or soaking
- Constipation is a common problem in pregnancy, increasing the risk of hemorrhoids. When soaking in a warm bath using Epsom salt, it helps shrink the veins from hemorrhoids, as well as the symptoms felt
- If you have a magnesium deficiency, your doctor may prescribe you to take Epsom salt. It can help replace the minerals you’re missing in your regular diet, but should only be ingested if told to
If you’d like to soak your feet in Epsom salt, simply mix a cup of Epsom salt in a bucket of warm water (not too hot or it can be dangerous for the baby). Allow it to soak for around 15 minutes and put your feet in the water. Let your feet soak for half an hour or so, and it will feel less swelling and pain.
Wrapping It Up
Using Epsom salt while pregnant is completely safe and can provide you a lot of health benefits. As long as you use it right, you can continue using it for your feet and reap the advantages it can give you. So grab a bag of Epsom salt and try out a foot soak now!
Do you have any questions or want to share your own experiences with Epsom salt? Share it in the comments section below!