Baking soda has been branded as a universal ingredient with tons of benefits, from cleaning surfaces to treating certain conditions! Sure, baking soda can do all those things, but can you wash your face with baking soda?
Yes… And no! I explain why baking soda is beneficial to wash with AND who it’s not recommended for, so read on!
Table of Contents
Can You Wash Your Face With Baking Soda?
This kitchen ingredient can do wonders for the skin, which is why many people wash with baking soda! Here are some of the benefits it can do:
- Baking soda exfoliates your skin and removes layers of dead skin cells. This helps clean out your face even better, being used as natural cleansers to soften sebum and debris
- It contains bleaching properties which help marks and spots on your skin fade away
- If you’re prone to blackheads, baking soda helps by closing the skin’s pores and shrinks blackheads slightly. It also contains astringent-like properties that prevent your pores from clogging from dirt, causing acne and blackheads
- Baking soda has a cooling effect that helps treat sunburns and remove skin tan
- It can whiten your skin and even out dark spots
Who Shouldn’t Wash Their Face With Baking Soda?
While the benefits of baking soda are quite promising, not everyone should be washing their faces with this ingredient!
If you have extremely sensitive skin, baking soda might not be good for you. It can cause redness, burning, and even rashes if applied directly on your face and skin.
But for “normal” skin, it’s fine to wash your face with it, but not TOO frequently, as it can lead to your face stopped from natural bacteria, making your face prone to breakouts and infections. Using it too frequently can also cause over-exfoliation, leading to dry skin.
That’s why I only recommend that you wash your face with baking soda once or twice a week.
How to Wash Your Face With Baking Soda
If you do plan to wash your face with baking soda, you need to do it the right way to prevent further damage or uncomfortable symptoms. Remember, baking soda is a harsh ingredient and if used incorrectly, can cause side effects.
- Mix a teaspoon of baking soda with a teaspoon of water until it forms to a paste
- Wash your face then apply the paste to affected areas (dark spots, blackheads, acne)
- Leave it for about three minutes and rinse your face with lukewarm water
Repeat this twice a week to prevent and treat acne and lighten dark spots. You can even mix baking soda with other healthy ingredients such as honey or lemon juice for more benefits!
Wrapping It Up
Hopefully, my article answered the question, “can you wash your face with baking soda?” So if it’s right for you, start incorporating this to your skincare routine now.
Do you have questions or want to share more wonders of baking soda for the skin? Do share them below, I’d love to hear all your thoughts!