Millions of people suffer from blackheads, which are blemishes you can find mainly on one’s nose. These small black spots are clogged skin pores, being black because of the dirt trapped in your skin. While irritating, there are a host of solutions, with lemon juice being a well-known one.
But does lemon juice get rid of blackheads and how does it, exactly? Check out how beneficial lemon juice is and how you can get rid of blackheads with this natural remedy.
Table of Contents
Does Lemon Juice Get Rid of Blackheads?
YES, lemon juice can help with blackheads and other skin conditions. You can find citrus fruit extracts like lemon juice in different skincare products because of their antioxidant content. With its vitamin C, it can fight off free radicals in your skin while boosting collagen levels.
Rather than using skin care products though, many choose to use lemon juice with other natural ingredients to avoid chemicals. How exactly does this ingredient help with your skin and blackheads, though? Here are some of its benefits:
- Because of its high acidity level, you can use it as an astringent to clear clogged pores, which cause blackheads
- The high pH level can also decrease oils and inflammation
- It contains citric acid, which is an alpha hydroxy acid which breaks down dead skin cells which cause blackheads and other noninflammatory acne types
- Citric acid also has drying effects, which lessens excess oil production
- Antibacterial effects to fight off and prevent blackheads from coming back
Using Lemon Juice For Blackheads
Lemon juice can help with blackheads and other forms of acne, but it does have its side effects if misused. To prevent dryness, burning, or stinging and itching of the sort, here is the correct way to apply lemon juice for blackheads:
- Squeeze juice from fresh lemons to a cotton ball then apply it to the affected area of the skin gently. Don’t rub it, as this may cause redness and irritation
- When the lemon juice is dry, continue with your skincare routine
- Rinse with cool water right after
Only use lemon juice once a day and discontinue once your face has cleared. Do NOT leave it overnight and start applying it during the day to monitor the skin. If ever you experience discomfort and/or burning after applying the lemon juice, wash your face immediately and refrain from using it.
Before you use lemon juice, I recommend that you try a patch test on one part of your body, like your elbow. Place a small amount of lemon juice to the elbow and wait for two days to ensure there are no side effects.
Wrapping It Up
Blackheads are easily treatable with the right products and/or natural ingredients. When applying lemon juice properly, you can get rid of blackheads without risk of scarring, while still reaping many skin health benefits it offers.
I hope my research answered your question, “Does lemon juice get rid of blackheads?” If you want to share your knowledge on lemon juice and acne treatment, comment below!