Weight loss is such an amazing accomplishment that not many people are able to achieve. It takes a ton of hard work and there will be some questions along the way, particularly regarding the stretch marks formed from packing the pounds. I’m sure even you have wondered, “will stretch marks go away if I lose weight?”
Well, yes and no. Read on as I talk about stretch marks and how to handle them after reaching your goal weight!
If I Lose Weight Will Stretch Marks Go Away? The Answers Revealed
If you’re wondering what stretch marks are, these are visible lines that grow the more your skin expands. Your skin expands due to natural growth or because of excess fat storage.
These marks look like cracks forming on your skin, small tears coming from connective tissues trying to keep the skin intact. They usually appear on the legs, arms, and abdomen, with women having them on their breasts usually.
It can affect one’s confidence, but you have to realize that these are natural-occurring marks that many have! But anyway, if you do develop these marks after weight gain, they disappear once you lose the excess fat, right?
Unfortunately, it doesn’t work that way. In fact, stretch marks may look more visible as your skin shrinks down to smaller sizes.
Don’t fret, though. While stretch marks don’t fade away naturally, there are remedies to reduce its size and appearance.
Treating Stretch Marks After Weight Loss
If you developed stretch marks from pregnancy, weight gain, or other causes, here are ways to treat them:
- You can check with a doctor who can recommend retinol creams. These refine your skin’s texture, lessening the deepness and appearance of your stretch marks. Such products can either be bought over-the-counter or require a prescription, with the latter providing better results
- Dermatologists offer procedures such as chemical peels, laser surgery, or microdermabrasion to reduce their appearance
- Self-tanners or tinted body lotions make stretch marks less noticeable, though they won’t actually remove them
- Keep your skin moisturized and hydrated. Use a moisturizer after taking a bath, wear sunscreen before heading outside, and drink a lot of water daily
- If you’re still planning to lose weight, make sure you do so slowly to prevent loose skin and your stretch marks from deepening too much
- For some people, stretch marks can go away or fade over time. You’ll just need to be patient and wait, as there is no fast cure to these marks
Take note that any treatments suggested above will have results that vary from person to person. Meaning, what may work for some may not work for you, and you’ll also need to consider the cost and intensity of some treatments, especially ones that include surgery
Wrapping It Up
I hope this article answered your question, “will stretch marks go away if I lose weight? Continue reaching your goals and keep up a healthy diet to help treat those stretch marks now!
Do you have questions or want to share your weight loss journey and how you handled stretch marks? Share your insights below, I appreciate all your thoughts!
Hi Everyone, BeYoungAholic’s aim is to help women who have lost their self-confidence because of the way they look. We will provide you tips and bits of advice on how to take care of yourself and maintain your youthful look. So, Enjoy the blog!